Amy Roth is not JUST a fantastic food photographer. She is my food soul sister. We almost always enjoy the same kinds of foods and share opinions on which blogs, chefs, restaurants and food websites are best (and worst- yes we are occasionally snarky!). Even our own husbands don’t match us as well when it comes to food.
She came up with this savory little snack, and I think it’s perfect. Salty and more-ish, these little eggplant rounds are a great cocktail hour nosh.
Grilled Japanese Eggplant with Olive Tapanade
This savory little bites feature grilled eggplant topped with olive tapanade.
For the grilled eggplant:
- 2 Japanese eggplants sliced 1/2” thick
- olive oil for brushing
For the tapenade:
- 2 cups pitted olives (a mix of Castelvetrano and Liguria)
- 1/2 cup pistachios toasted
- 1/2 cup parsley chopped
- 1 anchovy fillet rinsed and dried
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons brined capers rinsed and dried
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pinch fresh rosemary
- 1 pinch fresh thyme
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper optional
- shaved grana padano or fresh rosemary for garnish optional
Note: If the olives you’re using are especially salty, rinse and dry them before proceeding.
Have a look at my other blog posts from Small Bites Week for more ideas on party foods this holiday season!
- Prosciutto Wrapped Breadsticks
- Parmesan Crisps
- Pear and Pomegranate Guacamole
- Jerk Bacon Jam
- Pimento Cheese Stuffed Mini Peppers
- Tuna Tartare on Endive Leaves
Please don’t forget to check out food photographer Amy Roth’s blog post here. You can find us on Instagram as @gourmet.creative and @amyrothphoto. If you like what you see, comment, subscribe, pin and share with friends!